Mold can be found almost anywhere and can grow on virtually any surface where moisture is present. Indoors, mold spores travel through the air. When they land on damp surfaces, they may begin to grow and multiply. Molds need moisture and a food source to grow. Good food sources for molds are cloth, wood, wall board and insulation but can grow on almost anything. When a wet surface is not dried or discarded promptly (for example water from a burst pipe) molds can grow within 24-48 hours. Water damage is a big contributor to mold and fungus growth.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent mold damage in your home.
It is important to address mold issues immediately as molds can affect your health. Mold spores are invisible and can travel through the air and into your lungs. This may cause a runny nose, scratchy throat, sneezing and in more severe cases wheezing and coughing.