Spanish Se Habla Español / Se Fala Português Brazil
(321) 444-6981

How to Avoid Electrical Fire Damage to Your Home

How to Avoid Electrical Fire Damage to Your Home

How to Avoid Electrical Fire Damage to Your Home

Many homes suffer from electrical fires each year.  In fact, this number is in the thousands.  To prevent electrical fires from occurring, it is important to first recognize how they happen.  Electrical fires can cause damages that require the assistance of a public claims adjuster in central Florida to recoup insurance compensation.  In order to prevent electrical fires in your home, you first want to be aware of the main causes and prevention techniques necessary for keeping your home and family safe.

Faulty Outlets

Many electrical fires are started by faulty outlets and old appliances.  These fires are started by faulty appliance cords and switches.  You can prevent this by replacing any frayed or worn cords with new ones.  These frayed edges pose electrical hazards that can send heat into the floors, walls, and carpets.  This then causes fires to start and quickly spread.  Also avoid running cords underneath furniture and rugs.  This causes fires to spread more rapidly.  

Light Fixtures

Light fixtures, lamps, and lightbulbs are also common electrical fire starters.  Incorrect lightbulb practices can cause fires inside the home.  Be sure to pay attention to the correct lightbulb wattage before changing lightbulbs.  Whenever you use lightbulbs with a higher wattage, you can create an electrical fire hazard.  Be sure to keep cloth materials away from lampshades as well.

Extension Cords

Incorrect usage of extension cords is another common electrical fire starter.  Do not plug appliances into extension cords.  Instead, these appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.  They require too much energy to be conducted through an extension cord, which can cause overheating.  If you find that your outlets do not work for your appliances, you'll want to hire electrical contractors in Orlando, FL to install new ones for your safety.

Space Heaters

Many people frequently misuse space heaters in their homes, which puts them at risk for electrical fires.  They often place space heaters too close to flammable materials, such as curtains, blankets, chairs, or couches.  Once they become too hot, they can easily ignite into flames.  Coil space heaters are also extremely dangerous to use inside the home.  When you need to use a space heater, be sure to keep it at a safe distance from any combustible materials.  Also, be sure to update your space heater over time to ensure the safety of your loved ones when using your space heater to stay warm.


These are the most common causes of electrical fires, and typically they can be prevented.  By being cautious and aware of electrical hazards in your home, you will keep your property and family safe.  If you experience an electrical fire in your home and your home has been damaged, you may want to file an insurance claim.  Trust Five Star Claims Adjusting, a premiere public claims adjuster in central Florida, to help you with your insurance claims needs.  Contact us today if you have suffered fire damage to your property to hear how we can help you.