Did you know that the original homeowners' insurance plans were created to protect homes, possessions, and property from fires? From there, insurance companies have added many different types of claims to their coverage plans. Fires, however, are one of the top reasons why homeowners may file a property claim with their insurance. Although fires do not seem common, they happen unpredictably, spread quickly, and do extensive damage before you have to chance to extinguish it. This causes many people to contact their insurance companies and their public claims adjuster in Orlando, FL. Preventative measures are the best ways to stop fires from even occurring in your home. Follow these tips to help prevent electrical fires from igniting in your home.
We all use extension cords from time to time. However, when you start to depend on the use of extension cords in everyday life, you are presenting a safety issue in your home. Extension cords should only be used safely in certain instances, like when you need to install holiday lights or you need an extra plug for a short period of time. Avoid using extension cords on an everyday basis, as they present tripping hazards and can be easy to fray.
If you notice any frayed or damaged wires in your home, you will want to replace them immediately. Touching exposed wires can lead to injury, such as shock, burns, or electrocution. Over time, wires may fray from frequent use. When you see this issue, you want to act quickly to replace the wire with a properly insulated one.
There is a reason why outlets only come with a few plugs. Overcrowding outlets can actually lead to shorted circuits or overheating. When these issues persist, it can lead you to get electrocuted when you go to plug something into that particular outlet, or it can lead to destruction of the electronics that are plugged in. Avoid plugging too many devices and electronics into the same outlet.
Always keep water away from any electronics. If you are in the bathroom, you want to set up your hairdryers and styling tools away from the sink and bathtub. Also, never put the toaster close to the kitchen sink when you are making your breakfast. Dry your hands thoroughly before ever plugging in any electronics. When you mix water and electric, you risk electrocution that can leave you severely injured.
If you have children in your home, you will need to take a few extra steps to keep electricity away from their hands. Kids love to put their fingers in outlets, which can result in burns or electrocution. Use outlet covers to prevent this. Also, you will want to hide any wires to prevent tripping or prevent them from putting these in their mouth.
These are a few electrical safety tips that could prevent a fire in your home. If you happen to suffer from the extensive damages of a fire, you will want to begin rebuilding your life and healing from the catastrophe immediately. Our public claims adjuster in Orlando, FL will provide you with the advocacy you need to get the money you deserve from your insurance claim. Contact us to hear how we can help you today.